Monday, January 18, 2010

Why Protein?

We talk a lot about making sure you are getting the right amount of proteins, but why?

Well - for starters- without protein your body cannot function properly.

Our body's nerves, tissues, bones are all made up of proteins. So proteins become very necessary for them to grow and repair.

Did you know that another function of protein is that it produces antibodies which fight bacteria, viruses, toxins and many foreign substances that are harmful for the body?

Now that I have you convinced that protein is crucial to your diet, I want to share some ideas with you.

I don't know about you, but at first I couldn't think beyond meat,cheese, or eggs to get my protein. Those are definately great sources, but there are more options...

Have you found a protein powder that you like? I have tried some different ones, and I really have only found one that I really like. This is no way a paid endorsement, but just sharing what works for me. I go to the Nutrishop on 50th and Mills Civic and get the SEI Protein Ultimate powder- chocolate flavor (I'm going in tomorrow to try vanilla for some of these new recipes, I'll let you know if I like it). What's great is that they let you taste it before you buy so you don't waste your money on a big old tub of powder that you can't choke down! I get the the protein mix with 22 g of protein. I only need 12, so I use less than one scoop, so it really does last a long time.

I have found a link to a website with some recipes to use with protein powder. I've tried a few and have liked them all so far.

Recipes taken from www. liftforlife.com

Protein Powder & Oatmeal:

This is an extremely fast and easy meal for when you are in a rush. Simply take your serving of oatmeal, cook it through your preferred method and then add a scoop of protein powder in after its finished cooking.
Note however that you may wish to add a little more water before cooking as the protein powder will act as a thickener. Other additions that you can add to increase the taste and nutrient profile are peanut butter, chopped or frozen fruit and milk.
back to top

Easy Protein Bars:
8 Scoops Whey (any flavor you prefer)
3 Cups Oats
1 Package Sugar Free Fat Free Pudding
2 Cups Skim Milk
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and spread in the bottom of a pan. Place in the fridge overnight and cut into 8 individual squares the next morning.
back to top

Protein Jell-o:
1 scoop protein powder (preferably fruit flavored)
1 package sugar free jell-o powder
Make jell-o as directed on the package only right before you put it into the fridge; mix in one scoop fruit flavored protein powder. Syntrax's Nectar protein works great for this recipe.
back to top

Protein Powder Cottage Cheese:
Another very easy idea for those on a high protein diet and looking for a fast meal. Take 1/2 to1 cup cottage cheese and mix with 1/2 to 1 scoop protein powder. If you are looking for a more complete protein and fat meal, which may be the case for those on carb cycling plans, add in a tablespoon of peanut butter to get the macronutrient profile you need.
back to top

Protein Peanut Butter Balls:
3/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup honey
1 scoop chocolate or vanilla protein powder
1/2 cup raw oats
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and form into small 1" balls. Place in the fridge for a few hours and then enjoy.
back to top

Protein Powder Parfait:
2 cups chopped mixed berries
2 cups of sugar free yogurt or pudding
1 scoop protein powder
Mix protein powder in with yogurt or pudding. Layer fruit and pudding/yogurt in a tall parfait glass. Top with chocolate shavings or a dab of fat free cool whip. Makes 2 servings.
back to top


Oatmeal Pancakes:
1 cup raw oats
1 scoop protein powder
3 egg whites
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 packets sweetener
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend for 30 seconds. Then pour onto a hot grill and cook like a normal pancake. An optional addition is to add some frozen fruit after the batter is blended.
back to top

No comments:

Post a Comment